Friday, July 07, 2006

WC ’06 pt 2: Hook, Line and Bitten by the World Cup Bug

The first time I got hooked on football was way back in 1994 when I discovered an event called World Cup. I don’t remember the entire details anymore but snippets of that event remain, such as seeing the Italian player Baggio (Roberto, was it…? And, IIRC, I think he has a brother in the team, too) played flawlessly. Italy reached the finals, only to lose to Brazil on a penalty shootout.

World Cup happens every 4 years so come 1998, I looked forward to seeing Italy play again. But then I got sidetracked and saw this footballer named Zinedine Zidane who reminded me of a ‘monk’ [Franciscan, maybe…Haha, I’m guilty of stereotype] at the time thanks to his, um, bald spot right on the top of his head ^_^. I thought he was amusing…never imagined he’d turn out to be one of the greatest footballer around! Go Zizou! Go France! ^o^ Oh, and they beat Brazil in the finals!

Now that I think back, I hardly remember anything from the first World Cup of the new millennium in Japan-Korea 2002. Brazil won the cup back and France made an early exit with a forgettable performance—being eliminated without scoring a single goal. That must be why I can’t remember J-K2002 ^^;;

Back to the future: Germany 2006. Les Bleus is in the process of redeeming themselves as they defeated the defending champions and are maybe on their way to becoming one.

No comments: