Saturday, November 08, 2008

What can idle time do to two psychology junior faculty members

…when a meeting ends early and there’s a couple of extra hours available?

1. They propose that they will work by either checking papers or make preparations for the coming week.
2. But not before talking about cellular phones and how the Dictionary works…or not work, in my case.
3. And not until one shares the audio functions of his new cellular phone and starts playing the mp3 opening and ending theme songs of then popular kid shows Maskman (IN FILIPINO!!! IN FILIPINO!!! O.M.G. *goosebumps*) and Bioman (in Japanese).

Thus marked the beginning of nostalgia when P and I began talking about 80’s cartoons, sentai series (refer to item 3), Filipino super heroes and the psychology behind them. No, we did not get any work done, in case you were wondering.

First, a disclaimer – the notions presented here were brought about by random observations of the available TV shows we know to the best of what we can recall about it. The arguments below are far from stable and clearly open for discussion. I do admit that at the end of the discourse, I was tempted to read about the history of our “variables” and really make a solid comparison.

So, we talked about Bioman and Maskman and we noticed that the trend of “5 people”—a team, tends to be a central theme in these shows. Hence, it’s a reflection of the collectivistic culture on Non-westerners. I stopped for a moment and thought about Voltes V and almost agreed when, playing devil’s advocate as usual, I raised the issue of Daimos, Shaider, Masked Rider Black and Ultraman. Also, what about the Uncanny X-Men or Justice League? They are a team, aren’t they so why single out superheroes that just happened to originate from the other side of the globe and label them as such? P said that despite forming team, the X-men and JL still have core stories centralized in them. Individually, they are able to convey their personal stories, about who they are, unlike their Japanese counterparts who give us simple glimpses of who they are but it’s the team’s identity that matter more. Thus, the theory of individualistic nature for the former and collectivistic for the latter came to be. Well, X-men did have the “accept-who-we-are” premise in the beginning and I remember Voltes V has a couple of family ties issue. Ultraman did have a team backing him up...I must admit I'm not very sure about my own counterargument as of this time ^^;.

Anyway, another thing that we talked about was how our local superheroes and maybe some of the non-Westerners as well get their superpowers from something else, like it’s some kind of divine intervention and rather unintentional. Darna and Captain Barbell initially came to mind. P mentioned that Darna is our local rendition of Wonder Woman but unlike Wonder Woman who is born into royalty, Darna is your ordinary girl who was fortunate enough to be given powers. It is the same with Captain Barbell. Now, because I’m accustomed to making even the mundane things go through “reliability testing”, I just *had* to look for another local super hero to see if the description fits. I looked up Panday and true enough, the power of his weapon of choice came from something else of which he didn’t ask for nor initially possess. This is opposite to the likes of Batman, Superman or even Elektra.

So the conclusion in my opinion is, this entire entry is full of loopholes and really vulnerable for rebuttals, which is why it will remain unedited and raw as it is. And if someone out there can come up with something that I can tweak and conceptualize as “Rationale” and “Theoretical or Practical Significance of the Study”, I swear I will attempt to make a research proposal with funding and finish it in a term.

And next time, start and finish a meeting ON TIME. ^_^

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

humanda...na kayo...kami'y tagapagtanggol...

sige sugod...laban maskman!!

oo nga no! puro 'team' based sila. sailor moon, ghost fighter, dragon ball! even though one is highlighted in the show, there is a big emphasis of how each one helps each other. hindi lalaban si sailor moon ng mag-isa, dapat kasama niya ang sailor soldiers =)

sa atin, hmmm...parang ngang something that must be bestowed upon them in order to become super heroes. kung wala yung barbel, kung wala yung bato...pareho pa rin ba silang tao? si narda lang siya? i am not sure with lastikman...

at saka bakit dapat may matandang hermitanyo parati =)

Anonymous said...

wahahahaha! natawa agad ako sa pagbasa ng blog na ito, wehehe! can't help but be nostalgic as well with my own childhood memories with bioman, maskman, shaider and annie, and alike! wehehehe! winner ito! sayang umalis agad ako, namiss ko tuloy ang masayang kwentuhan na ito, hahaha!

jennai said...

ATEPAWIE LOL:

WAG KA NA KUMANTA UTANG NA LOOB!!! Wala ka kasi doon kaya di mo maiintindihan ang goosebumps na naranasan ko! LOL! But to be fair, natuwa ako dun sa ending song ng Bioman-naalala ko na nililinis nila yung robot ^o^

Ermitanyo = Wise man achetype!


I AM S:

Wala kang choice, noh! Mga 2.45pm na nagsimula ang idle moments at alam naman namin na mas mahalaga sa iyo ang PhP 500/FGD kesa sa amin. Sa susunod, pag-isipan mong maigi ang mga desisyon mo sa buhay. LOLOL!!!

Anonymous said...

hehe, jennai, you indeed brought back childhood memories...and that which stands out the most is having no choice but to choose Yellow 4 because my siblings have agreed that red, green and blue are "guy" colors (maybe since the characters wearing these suits are men?) and my sis has chosen Pink 5! :O

wait, there's this Western Bionic 6 cartoon back then = a family with superpowers... but maybe that's not counted 'coz they are afterall, family. :P

Anonymous said...

haha!just can't help but laugh at some of the things that we talked about. I told trina about it and she agreed with my propositions. All the proposed generalizations are indeed just based on initial observations. But you know what they say about research problems, it mostly starts with it. I had fun even if we had a lot of other things to do. It was fun being nostalgic and at the same time going into "geek" mode bwahehehe. I would like to think of it as intellectually stimulating but in a fun way. we should definitely do this again with the rest of the gang which would mean anton would be there to refute everything which would hopefully refine our research topic =)

Ria said...

hay, tama bang kwentuhan nalang naghanap pa ng theoretical chorva?!? grr...hehe.

jennai said...

@ jamadi9:

Western Bionic 6? WTH is that?! LOL! Sorry, dude, I've never heard of that. Wah, color stereotypes! Possible next topic for discussion, hahaha!

@ i am p:

Geeks rule! LOL! I bet there will be more discussion when I get to read Watchmen! Oh noes, we've got about a month to talk about these things. And you're right about ant-1, he will definitely make the arguments more interesting : ) Oist, collab tayo when you're in Oz already--isaksak nating yung topic fit sa course mo at devpsych, mwahahaha!

@ ria

It's not like we planned it...it just happened. Whoa, sh!t, that didn't sound right, but you get the point : ) Blame it on nostalgia, hahaha!